This great article was posted recently in the Heller Report:
An IT Leaders Guide to Executive Presentations.
This was written by Tom Catalini, CIO, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, and excerpted from his new e-book, “Talking Points: Communication Skills to Advance Your IT Career,” a full version of which can be downloaded for free here.
In summary the key points he makes are:
- Why are we discussing this?
- Why is it important to address this now?
- How did we get to this point?
- What are the options for moving forward?
- What is the cost, benefit, and risk of each option?
- Which option do you recommend, and why?
I have seen this type of approach referred to by various acronyms, one of my favourite being the STOP approach. Where you define the Situation, the Target, the Options and the Proposal.