Getting people to change….”Being nice isn’t enough” says a recent article from HBR. A leader must be doing far more than that: 7 Things Leaders Do to Help People Change.
Now I am sure that is not news to any of us….. HBR provide there list of suggestions.
1. Inspiring others – why should your people change?
2. Noticing problems – spotting that change is needed
3. Providing a clear goal – without a shared vision, how can you try to get there?
4. Challenging standard approaches – doing the same thing over and over will not provide change
5. Building trust in your judgement – you need them to follow your lead and to do that they must trust you
6. Having courage – unless you have the courage to take that step, that leap you will not succeed
7. Making change a top priority – if you do not change then you will become part of history
As a Greek philosopher once said “the only constant is change”, so how you as a leader embrace change will be the difference between success and failure.